LANARK CENTENNIAL ASSOC. -
HISTORICAL BOOK. . .
I >*> fat roll GwM-fy]
OUR HERITAGE. . . j^\' lUi .
Digitized by the Internet Archive
in 2012 with funding from
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
HUN01S HISTORTCAl SURVEY
*"A Century of Progress
Lanark, Illinois Centennial
1861 June 18-24 1961
R. G. Amling
V. P. — Cashier
John L. Morris
We Appreciate Your Patronage And
YOU ARE WELCOME TO OUR SERVICE
Exchange State Bank
100 times around!
A salute to Lanark
BRENNAN CATTLE CO,
NOW GET SMALL CAR SAVINGS AND EASE . . . PLUS THE ROOM, RIDE, GO AND PRIDE OF THE COSTLIEST CARS!
Give up go for gas savings? Comfort for compact-
ness? Pride for handling ease? No more! Buick's new
112" wheelbase beauty gives them all to you — all
in a new Clean Look of action that's all Buick.
Thanks to the Special's new aluminum V-8 engine
plus aluminum transmission*, you can move into
an expressway from standstill to highway speed,
safely and sprightly as in a full-sized car. Yet, you
pocket big savings on gas (regular, at that), oil and
tires, too. (Proof? The Buick Special swept the
Mobilgas Economy Run Class "C" with a whop-
ping 25.09 m.p.g. . . . topping all V-8 automatic
And, make no mistake— the Special's no "sometime"
car. It gives you an all-day ride that's at home on the
superhighway as well as at the supermarket. Reason?
Its big new Comfort Zone with more total head, hip
and leg room than the compacts . . . new Hide- Away
drive shaft that flattens the floor . . . new easy-riding
Control Arm suspension, the same kind as on full-
size '61 Buicks . . . smooth fitting Body by Fisher.
And best of all the Special can be yours for less
than most models of the low-price field. See and
drive '61 's special car soon. Buick Motor Division
— General Motors Corporation.
'Aluminum IJual-t'alh Turbine Drive — optional at rxlra i oxl.
Exciting new proof . . when better automobiles are built Buick will build them
"WE KEEP THE HOME FIRES BURNING"
Dial HY 3-2160
I. B. DILLON OIL CO.
Jay Hoffman, Agent
We looked at them all . . .
THE BIGGEST "2-IN-l" VALUE
BY FAR IS THE
7"o /DAOi^e // to yourself
ask your Amana. dealer about the
Your refrigerator— any refrigerator— was never like this!
In a space only 32 inches wide— no more than an ordinary
refrigerator takes — you have a genuine Amana freezer
and a full family-size refrigerator besides! All in one com-
pact, beautifully styled cabinet that's a credit to any
You enjoy real freezer living with the Amana combina-
tion. It stores 290 pounds of frozen food. Even zero stor-
age temperatures keep food fresher, safer, longer. And
exclusive Amana-Matic Contact Freezing is up to 2 : /2
times faster than ordinary freezing methods!
The refrigerator features glide-out shelves, convenient
gallon milk storage, controlled butter conditioner, vege-
table crisper, scientifically designed meat keeper— even a
tall bottle shelf. And both the freezer and refrigerator
have complete illumination plus Amana's exclusive
Stor-Mor Door for extra storage space. See the Amana
Freezer-p/us-Refrigerator. It's your biggest "2-in-l" value!
Model FPR-95. Total ca-
pacity, 13.9 cu. ft., with
space for 182 pounds of
frozen food. Ideal for
apartment dwellers. Only
32 inches wide, 5 ft. high.
Model FPR-98. Total ca-
pacity, 17 cu. ft., with
space for 290 pounds of
frozen food. Exclusive
Stor-Mor doors. Brings you
true "freezer living."
"You mean I can
YE?-Y0U CAN FREEZE MORE
FOOD-FASTER-AND KEEP IT
FRESHER, LONGER, WITH AN
Model D-1B. 17.5 cu. ft. Holds 613 lbs.
of frozen food.
come In today!
• Exclusive Amana-Matic
Freezing freezes foods up to
2V2 times faster than other
methods. Each shelf is a
fast-freezing surface ... all
food is on or below a prime
freezing surface. Maintains
constant even-zero temper-
atures to keep food fresher,
• New Deluxe Door has extra
storage for a whole month
• Glide-Out Freezer Basket
will conveniently hold up to
74 lbs. of bulky hard-to-
• Five -Year Warranty on not
only the freezer but even
the food yow store in it!
LOW DOWN PAYMENT! EASY TERMS!
See these and other quality Amana products at
1. Oregon Home Auto
2. Deluxe Shop
Mt. Morris, III.
3. Osterday Electric
4. Cahill Electric
5. Freeport Skelgas
6. Merchant TV & Appliance
We, the present owners of Lanark Dry
Goods, wish to dedicate this space to Mrs.
Mabel Hoy who has given thirty-five years of
faithful service with three owners, Mr. E. C.
Landt, Mr. Ted Werdin and Mr. and Mrs.
Lanark Dry Goods
^^^^3r ^* '
IFL a f
i /w"ot* Mr
William Shearer, Fred Shearer, Betty Rahn, Dorothy Sorensen
"Celebrating our FIRST ten years in business . . .
rinnrl n\l ^ k ana ' *^ e LAST ten years in Lanarks first century
Have New Rooter
For Sewer Troubles
Call Day or Night
ELBURN PACKING CO. OF ILLINOIS
In past years we have enjoyed very pleasant business
relations with the cattle feeders of the Lanark community.
To those of you who have made that possible we extend our
very best wishes and hope that the future will bring continued
success and prosperity.
ELBURN PACKING CO.
ELBURN, ILLINOIS PHONE EM 5-2651
SHIPPING CONTAINER DIVISION
THE LANARK GAZETTE
The 2nd Oldest Business
Has Been Serving The People of Lanark and Vicinity
MRS. HENRY ENGELKING DICK AND GILPIN STAGG
MUTUAL TORNADO INS. CO.
— 65 Years of Service To Policyholders —
SEE YOUR FARM MUTUAL FIRE INSURANCE AGENT ABOUT A POLICY
Jefferson at 4th St. Dial WO 5-9491 — WO 5-9492
Our The 100th Birthday
Congratulations Of Our Fine City
Air Conditioned For Your Comfort
ATTEND! The Junior Dairy Cattle judging contest which will be
held at the Carroll County Fair at Milledgeville, Illinois
on Saturday morning, August 12, at 9:00 a.m. (CDT).
The contest is open to all 4-H Club and FFA members
living in Carroll, Ogle, Whiteside and Lee Counties.
The high scoring team of three members, plus three
high individuals will be awarded an all expense trip
to a major league baseball game during August,
through the charity of
"C." Keith Cheeseman
Local and Long Distance Insured Livestock Hauling
Lanark Mutual Fire Insurance Co.
Serving the needs of Carroll County since 1874
Office Phone 3-2519
Truman H. Royer Lloyd E. Peters, Agent
PRESIDENT LANARK - PHONE HY 3-2569
Forrest Thompson Elmer Zugschwerdt, Agent
SECRETARY CHADWICK -- PHONE MU 4-3631
B. & F. Gulf Service
• Gulf Oil Products
• Goodyear Tires
• Exide Batteries
• Complete Service For Your Car
Glenn O. Blair, Jr.
BLAIR MOTOR SALES
201 EAST LOCUST — LANARK, ILLINOIS
State Testing Lane B 571
Happy 100th Birthday Lanark,
The Complete One Stop Friendly Store
Giving you courteous, friendly and dependable service
in such lines as:
Shop around and you will find there are:
Always Better Buys At Gambles
BURGESS BATTERY COMPANY
BURGESS BATTERY COMPANY
DIVISION OF SERVEL, INC.
On 100 Years of Progress
HOLLEB and COMPANY
3225 South Western Ave.
Chicago 8, III.
Featuring: THREE QUALITY BRANDS
Holleb's Supreme • SixOTIock • True American
Available at your nearby Spot-Lite Food Mart
TO THE CITY OF LANARK
For 100 Years of Growth, Development and Service
WELDERS SUPPLY COMPANY
JOBBERS OF WELDING MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT
— Congratulations from —
Chambers & Owen, Inc.
FREEPORT and ROCKFORD
A. V. "Ole" Olson
"Live Better Electrically"
Public Service Company
Our best wishes for a
bright and prosperous
Northern Illinois Telephone Co.
ON YOUR 100th YEAR
COCA-COLA BOTTLING CO., INC.
MFG. CO. INC.
5,000 Square Feet devoted to the Design, Development and Fabrication of Precision
Metal Products through the employment of the following methods and machines:
Automatic Screw Machines
Hand Screw Machine
Model Aircraft Engines
Hydraulic Governor Parts
Gunsmiths & Shooters Equipment
ON YOUR 100th YEAR
Garner Welding Shop
Quality Welding and Blacksmithing
Portable Welder For Outside Work
Phone HY 3-2151 Lanark, Illinois
McGRATH SAND and GRAVEL GO.
FORRESTON & POLO
Plants also located at-
Executive Offices — Pekin
Lincoln, Illinois Mackinaw
J. W* Burns Protective Agency
Corresponding Bonded Attorneys, Professional Collectors and
Skip Tracers Throughout the World.
A Proven Collection System With All Payments Made Direct To You
At A Maximum Cost of 10%
Allen D. Budde, Regional District Representative
Phone HY 3-6505 — Lanark, Illinois
Harold E. Olson, Representative
^Ilagfr |L Peters
FIRE — TORNADO — HAIL
Res. Phone Office Phone
HY 3-2569 HY 3-2519
Les E. Jones, Owner
Hardware • Paint • Appliances
Phone HY 3-2686 Lanark. Illinois
WE COMPLIMENT THE RESIDENTS OF LANARK
ON THEIR 100th YEAR
LEE HESS & SONS DISTRIBUTORS INC.
608 Depot Ave. * Dixon, Illinois
from the land of sky blue waters
The Next 100 Years
A Pledge For The Future
First State Bank of Shannon
A Salute To Lanark's TOO Years
Peter Pan Bread
on 1 00 Years
famous since 1871
WARDS MONEY- BACK GUARANTEE
"Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back"
has been Wards policy for 89 years. That means
you're assured of quality, service and satisfaction
when you shop at Wards. Always. No matter what
you buy Wards guarantee complete satisfaction.
MONTGOMERY WARD ▼▼
on your 100th anniversary
HYGENIC FABRICS, INC.
for the cheese industry.
"Lanark's Youngest Manufacturing Industry"
Coin Wash and Dry
— Open 24 Hours A Day —
John & Evelyn Kloepping
BUILDING and CONSTRUCTION
WORK OF ANY KIND
W. T. Rawleigh Co.
Congratulations Lanark !
(72 YEARS OLD)
^H^^Bjl ^w Available From
^^ ^^^ Your Local Dealer
Contact Your Local
United or Reiss Representative
Mrs. Pearl Hartman
THE C. REISS COAL CO.
The Rawleigh Dealer for
Lanark and Vicinity
Congratulations to the Lanark Centennial !
DR. WALTER NEHRKDRN, DVM
107 Parker Court Lanark III. Phone HY 3-2592
PLR-3 Lo Boy model
ALL-AROUND HOME COMFORT
Exclusive with ROUND
WALTER C. KNACK COMPANY
Cigars — Tobacco — Cigarettes — Confectionery — Novelties
IMPORTER - JOBBER
Complete Merchandise Vending Service
Telephones: AT 4-1231 & AT 4-1241
We extend our best wishes for Lanark's Centennial
Dejong and Associates
509 Empire Building
Poffenberger's Union Dairy
Quality Foods and Dairy Products
FOR A REAL TREAT TRY
Union Dairy Farms Ice Cream
Sam and Lucille Poffenberger
FREEPDRT DYE WORKS
CLEANING and PRESSING
SERVING LANARK FOR OVER 40 YEARS
£ Water Proofing £ Woolen Storage £ Free Minor Repairs
Pick up and Delivery or bring Cleaning to
City Barber Shop, Lanark — Tues. & Friday
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 100th YEAR
HOUSE ^ LINDBERG INC
201 WEST MAIN ST.
The Friendly Store
For Friendly Service
Your National Bank
Mt. Carroll, Illinois
Alden & Dauphin
Headquarters in Savanna, Illinois
White Marine Gas for Boats and Motors
Main and Quincy St.
Savanna • Illinois
For 100 years of transportation
Selling and Servicing
* BUICK and PONTIAC *
WHAT ARE YOU DOING
WITH YOUR FUTURE?
It*» in your hands today. Bend it — shape it —
make it fit your foreseeable needs. And since so
much can happen that isn't foreseeable, better
have a margin for contingencies!
The National Bank of
Delivered fresh daily
to your food store
ESMOND & BURTON
Successors To T. A. Wachtel & Son
PIONEERS OF CEMETERY MEMORIALS
Mt. Carroll, Illinois
THOMAS A. VEITH
Res. Phone 4034
Business Phone 4001
• Real Estate and Insurance Broker
• Specializing in all types of Real Estate
• Farm Loans and Appraisals
- The Dealer in Dirt —
Phone HY 3-2335 Lanark, Illinois
Moodeg Gravenstein William Gillman
^.1 ^^ * ^l ^l ^ "^a. Amk
1 ICE CREAM 1
Complete Office Outfitters
501 Locut St. — Sterling, 111.
Phone MA 5-4375
• Real Estate
FREEPORT FRUIT &
Wholesale Fruits & Vegetables
Frozen Food. Good Luck Margarine, Beverages
PHONE AD 2-3185
Sieg Illinois Co*
MEL AND MARY FAIST
United Roofing & Siding Co.
P. O. Box No. 6 — Clinton, Iowa
it No Down Payment
* 60 Month 5% F.H.A.
^ Expert Workmanship
^ Hastings Aluminum
^ Johns Manville Siding
Through these pages you will find the history of our town, Lanark: its meager
beginnings, its growth, its amusing incidents, its tragedies, and its people. We who
have been involved in planning Lanark's first hundred-year celebration offer this
If this has been a successful celebration it cannot be credited to any one per-
son, but rather to all who worked in jobs large or small, and who are proud of the
community in which they live or are associated. And among those associated with
Lanark are the farmers whose ancestors were the backbone of the settlement of this
area, and who today support the community as their town.
The benefits of a venture like this cannot be measured in dollars and cents,
but rather in the varied, far-reaching effects resulting from a community venture
such as this. We have seen a splendid harmony of farmers and townspeople; we have
seen new leadership develop; best of all we have seen people band together in a common
effort, regardless of their personal feelings at the outset.
In short, we have discovered one fact that is omnipotent in every community,
whether village or city, which has been expressed by an unknown author:
If you want to live in the kind of a town
Like the kind of a town you like,
You needn't slip your clothes in a grip
And start a long, long, hike.
For you'll only find what you left behind,
For there's nothing that's really new;
It's a knock at yourself when you knock your town
For it isn't your town . . . .it's you!
Main Street in Lanark about 1914.
m ie e e
Main Street Lanark - 1961
When white settlers moved into northwestern Illinois the Sauk and Fox Indians
were the only tribes to put up any real resistance. Relentless pressure of the white
men soon drove the Indians across the Mississippi leaving the fertile prairies, the
rugged bluffs and wooded slopes to the settlers.
In 1830 Thomas Crane, the first area settler, took up a squatter's claim in what
is now Cherry Grove Township. His home, surrounded by a 9-foot high palisade, was
known as Crane's Fort. As far as can be ascertained, this fort was located at Lovers'
Spring. One of the first surveyors' maps shows it located about one-half mile west of
Highway 73 and one-half mile north of the township road, or the old Sucker Trail.
About 1840 an inn or tavern called the Cherry Grove House was built on the
Galena-Peoria road. It is presumed to be the inn operated by Ing Garner for his
brother Francis, and stood west of the present Matt Garner farm, on Lloyd Wolf 's
• * ■* »
. *■_« i i
wL\ ■ Sp
* .- *^ 1 '.
This was an early stage coach stop located west of Matt Garners on the Lloyd Wolf farm.
Factually, Lanark is located in Rock Creek Township of Carroll County, Illi-
nois, on beautiful high, rolling prairies. Its first settler was David Becker, followed
closely by Z. B. Kinkade, John Kinkade and Nathaniel Sutton. Many thought settling
on the prairie was hazardous and foolish, but soon the virgin soil was being broken
by the teams and plows of E. Spaulding and L. F. Estabrook. While neighbors were
cutting timber and grubbing roots, these men were enjoying a farm already made
except for cabins and fences.
William Renner, coming from Maryland in 1837 with his large family, hauled
grain (mostly wheat) by oxen to Chicago and sold it for 40^ a bushel. He sold dressed
pork for $1 per hundred weight.
John Wolf located in Lanark in 1842, farmed, invested in land, and loaned money.
He was associated with the First National Bank and in 1878 opened what is now the Ex-
change State Bank. Mr. Wolf owned a big Pennsylvania wagon and had a six-horse
team (almost the only horses in northern Illinois). At the time of the famous Lincoln-
Douglas debate in Freeport, he had hauled a load of grain to the city. He was asked to
convey Lincoln from the Brewster House to the speaker's stand. This he did proudly,
as he greatly admired Mr. Lincoln.
James Howell first settled in Freedom Township in 1845, later lived in a house
on the site of Lanark where his children, Thomas and Hannah, were the first white
children born in Rock Creek Township.
Daniel Belding who came from Vermont in 1855, made cheese, most of which was
shipped to England. He was a school director and postmaster.
Acting as an agent for the Northern Illinois Railroad Company, D. W. Dame in
1857 purchased 80 acres of land , and John Nycum of Mt. Carroll donated 80 acres more
to the railroad for the town site. The railroad company donated generous amounts of
this land for the school, city park and churches. D. W. Dame laid out the city.
The town's first name was Glasgow, but as there was already a town by that
name in Illinois, the name became Lanark. Lanark is the name of the county in Scot-
land where a banker lived who provided money for the railroad company.
As soon as it was known that the railroad was coming, settlers moved in rapid-
ly. Many dreamed of towns and cities being at every crossroad, and towns born on
paper died when the railroad routed elsewhere! It is not possible to list all early
settlers, but those brought to our attention were: William Crinklaw, Francis Garner,
George Dorr, Peter Horner, Elliot Nichol, L. A. Chaffee, Sam Dietrich, J. R. Eby,
Noah Flickinger, Joe and Ed Glotfelty, Jacob Grossman, Benjamin Noble, John Red-
line, John Hess, Levi Bray.
This is the oldest building in Lanark
The Lanark House around 1900.
The first house built in Lanark was a 16 ft. x 96 ft. structure intended for a
boarding house for men working on the railroad and building the Lanark House (hotel).
The boarding house was built under the direction of D. W. Dame, and when completed
was operated by Daniel H. Stauffer and wife -the first family to live in the new town.
Later C. E. Wales purchased the material in the boarding house and used it to build
the first store building which was used by him as a hardware store. S. R. Brenaman
uses it now as a garage.
The Lanark House (first hotel) was started in July 1861 to accommodate the
workers on the railroad. It was built by John Wills of Texas (an uncle of Grace Wolf)
and operated by Fred Gear many years. It is still in operation, known as the St. Jean
Hotel, and owned by Mrs. J. St. Jean.
The first business house was a small store owned by "Uncle" Chancy Grant and
his one-armed son William. Their stock was worth about $150, but they made money
and bought more property. Their original property was taken over by a Mr. Mishler
for his grocery store. Another hardware store was built in 1861, a frame building
owned by Blake and Stowell of Mt. Carroll. This was later purchased by John Hess,
who with his son William, conducted the business for many years. In 1878 there were
75 businesses. It was said Lanark did more business than any other town in the county.
An early artist's conception of the Eby Building.
Some of the early business men were: Asa Bixby, Joseph Widmer, Wm. Crink-
law and William Strang, blacksmiths; Mr. Cogswell and Seth Wiley, plasterers;
Nicholas Fagan, harness maker; John Pailey, cashier First National Bank; Trescott,
lumber dealer; Stauffer, Henry Reynolds, Benjamin Noble, grocers; Alvaro Shumway,
John Allemong and H. S. Puterbaugh, druggists. Mr. Shumway and Mr. Cogswell also
served as Justice of the Peace. M. J. Boyle, J. R. Sheller and John Risely, tailors;
Israel and Lepnow, dry goods; Ransom Gilbert sold sewing machines and organs; Wm.
Ross and L. C. Chaffee, wagon makers; Will Beans, men's clothing, boots and shoes;
J. R. Bingaman, grain dealer; J. D. Wheat, carpenter; Garland, poultry dealer; Diehl
and Roth and George Dorr, shoemakers; Dan Wiley, pumps and windmills; Ed. Sey-
farth, jeweler; J. D. Wolfley, carpet weaver; and many others.
Dr. Joseph Haller was the first physician followed by Doctors O. L. White,
Porter Wales, Henry W. Wales, J. B. Porter, Pacificus Porter, G. Mershon, Eby,
and Valentine. Dr. T. I. Packard and Dr. E. L. Hendricks served many years after
the turn of the century. Dr. Blough was the first dentist; later there were Drs. Cham-
berlin, Staley, and Woodside.
The Lanark Gazette composing room looked like this in 1912. Type was set by hand at that time.
The first newspaper was the LANARK BANNER founded in May 1863 by John
R. Howlett. This publication changed hands a number of times, and in 1871 was dis-
continued. The CARROLL COUNTY GAZETTE succeeded it. In 1878 Mr. Howlett re-
turned to Lanark and published the paper for a year when Frank A. Livermore pur-
chased it and changed the name to THE LANARK GAZETTE. In 1893 W. G. Wild be-
came owner and publisher, and with William G. Redline as printer and pressman,
guided THE GAZETTE through forty successful years.
Early industries were varied, among them were the planing mill and sash fac-
tory, woolen mill, grist mill, brick yards, cooper shop, marble works, creameries,
This mill was built in 1858 by J. T. Valentine. The millstone was
shipped from Germany.
The mill power was derived from this mill pond.
laundry, carpet weavers, boot and shoemakers, and factories for washing machines,
butter tubs, corn plows, fine harnesses, fanning mills, vinegar, cigars, corn-cob pipes
and cheese. A canning factory has been in operation for many years.
Marble shop started in 1883 by T. H. Wachtel and Elmer Ehmer.
The first mail was carried tri -weekly by Thomas Crane from Crane's Fort on
the Galena trail to Freeport. At the Cherry Grove station John Pierce kept the stage
horses and was the postmaster for three or four years. In 1853 Jacob Emmert obtain-
ed a contract to carry daily mail from Savanna to Freeport. This remained in effect
until the Racine and Mississippi Railroad was built. In the early 1900's Free Delivery
routes were established by the government. The carriers traveled 25 -35 miles a day.
Lanark had 5 routes at one time. Today it has three, a fine new building, and in 1960
$29,000 in business was handled there.
The railroad station and switching tower.
The railroad influenced Lanark's rapid development greatly. The first line of
the now Milwaukee Road through Lanark was built in several stages: in 1857 the Ra-
cine and Mississippi Railroad built from Beloit toDurand; in 1858 on to Davis; in 1859
to Freeport. In 1861 the Northern Illinois Railroad Co. built from Freeport to Kittredge
and then Lanark. (In 1862 this line was extended to Savanna.) The Northern Illinois Co.
consolidated with the Western Union Railroad Co. in 1866. (In 1901 it was sold to the
Milwaukee Road.) By 1876 progressive citizens were anxious for a more direct line
to Chicago than via Freeport. A railroad reached west to Byron from Chicago, and D.
W. Dame, George Sherwood, and I. Dean worked tirelessly to secure a line from Byron
to Lanark, to no avail. However, in 1880 the C.M.St.Paul came through Kittredge, and
by combining with the line from Freeport to Lanark, a direct line to Chicago was ob-
tained. As late as the twenties the depot was often filled with travelers who came to
Lanark was a busy shipping point: in 1877, 379 cars of grain and livestock were
Train wrecks were quite frequent - and many and unusual tales followed. At one
wreck east of town during a storm the engine and several cars left the track. The
engine reportedly disappeared in the quagmire and was never recovered. Another time
a wreck west of town delayed other trains. Some passengers walked into town and
visited with townspeople. One resident found himself talking with Chief Sitting Bull
who had been to Washington, D. C. to sign a government pact. Once after a severe
snow storm the first plow came through. Many people were on the high board fences
watching. The high plumes of snow thrown by the plow buried some onlookers that
were then dug out by friends !
Lanark's first library was started by several young folks, each bringing two
books and exchanging them with one another. The WCTU then started a library over
the post office until a fire made it necessary to move to the White Building. About 1930
the White sisters moved the books into their home, and after their death, the library
was taken over by the Lanark Woman's Club.
The water works were built in 1888; the electric light system began about 1895;
the telephone system was organized by local citizens in 1902. At first electricity was
used only for street lights. From 1904 -17 Aaron Warfel operated the light plant, and
power was supplied only from dusk to midnight. The United Utility Co. purchased the
The old buildings and dwellings carry many and varied histories, and we have
little but "word of mouth" history. Two landmarks still standing are homes built in
1868 by bankers, Mr. Sprogle and Mr. Van Vechten, said to be trying to out-do each
other. The Sprogle home on East Locust is now occupied by Jesse Shidler; the Van
Vechten home on East Pearl is the home of Mrs. Carrie Erisman and her son John.
L. Sprogle built this home now owned by Jess Shidler. Its present appearance is much the same.
A Mr. Timothy O'Keefe built a four -family apartment on West Carroll. David
Lower built a brick house on South Main in 1867, and it is now occupied by his grand-
son, Donald Lower. The brick for this house, the J. F. Hess Hardware Store, and the
Methodist Church were made where Mrs. George Beck's home stands in south Lanark.
The Allemong building owned by Mrs. Ella Giddings was built in Cherry Grove
Township and moved to Broad Street about 1864. Quite appropriately, a portion of it
is being used for the Centennial Headquarters.
The Glendora Hotel, built by Mr. Dorr, sold to Mr. Stauffer in 1914, has changed
hands frequently and is now a private residence.
The first church was built by Methodists in 1861, and was soon followed by
G. F. Van Vechten was the original owner of this house which still stands having undergone few changes.
It is now owned by Carrie Erisman.
several other denominations. A few congregations that are no longer active are: The
Christian Church which began in Freedom Township in 1843, moved to Lanark in
1862, and disbanded in 1956. Four men entered their ministry: Frank Sword, Frank
Moffett, William Hawk and William Clemmer. The Congregational Society organized
in 1859, disbanded in 1878. The Abrahamic Church was active from 1866 until the
early 1900's. The Church of God functioned from 1866-1940. From 1867-1903 the
First Baptist Church served the community.
In 1862 a public school was started in the Pierce home, and that year Mrs.
Figely started a private school in her home and hired an eastern girl, a Miss Williams,
as teacher. In May 1863 a special school meeting was called to vote on the length of
the school year and to decide about using the land given by the railroad. Much litiga-
tion, many meetings and five years later a school was built on an entirely different
location. The building and ground cost $15,000. In 1893 it was destroyed by fire. School
met in the Abrahamic, Methodist and Baptist churches and in the north side school
house. The north side school had had the first six grades, and was not used after
1894 when a new school was built. In 1895 a four-year high school was begun. Charles
Lowman and Nathan Grossman were graduated that year.
May 18, 1898 Carroll County experienced its worst storm. Some damage re-
ported in a book by Cal Feezer of Mt. Carroll was: "The Lanark vinegar factory was
unroofed; everything butthe house at Christ Rowland's is gone; Henry Arnold's house,
barn, etc. gone; upper part of Charles Wentz's house demolished; at Cal Puterbaugh's
all but house blown away; William Johnson farm a total loss, but he had $2900 tornado
insurance; excessive damage in streets and in cemetery; all buildings at George Taber
farm demolished; extensive damage at John Stineman and Nichols' farms; grain ruined
and much livestock killed."
Lanark has furnished her full quota of service men in every war. It is especially
fitting that we pay due honor to the members of Shiloh Post G.A.R. in this Civil War
Centennial year, too.
The Grand Army of the Republic was organized to preserve the strong fraternal
bonds and to assist comrades in need or their widows and orphans. Lanark's Post
was organized in 1880. It began with 26 members, and by 1913 had 88, all of whom
had enlisted. They met at the Masonic Hall. The last old soldier was Amos Ditsworth.
Charter members were: George Lattig, D. H. Snyder, George Noble, David
Lepman, George Root, Willis Ray, Seth Wiley, W. Thomson, J. T. Valentine, M. J.
Rowland, George Gordon, B. S. Gaff, Victor Whisler, Austin Willis, E. Stover,
Peter Raymer, H. W. Wales, J. Ruthrauff, J.Garman, Jonas Buffington, Henry Foulds,
Thomas Elder, Warren Sherwood, A. H. Bowen, I. L. Bowen, M. J. Boyle.
Street scene at the 1912 Old Settlers Day celebration in Lanark.
Old Settlers' Association
In September 1874 a large number of old settlers met on the Carroll Co. Agri-
cultural Fair Grounds in answer to a call in county papers. D. W. Dame stated the
purpose of the meeting, Luther Bowen was elected president and Samuel Preston, the
secretary. One vice-president from each township was elected and a committee chosen
Park scene at the 1908 Old Settlers Day.
to draft a constitution which was adopted October 8. Twenty-five years of county resi-
dency was required for membership. The Association aimed to bring citizens together
for fellowship and to gather and record valuable historical information. It was to exist
as long as any members lived.
For 77 years the reunion was held yearly except during World War II and the
1946 epidemic. It no longer exists as an association, but a reunion and celebration is
sponsored by the Lanark business men and service organizations in the city park.
Old Farms Still In Family
The farm now known as the Kenneth Truman farm was purchased in 1830 by
Henry B. Puterbaugh, and has been in the family four generations.
In 1840 John Wolf came from Maryland by covered wagon and bought a farm
north of Lanark. The purchase was signed by President James K. Polk. Still in use on
the farm are the original red brick home with fireplaces in all rooms, a barn, and a
spring. The present owner, a great-grandson, is Joy Wolf Sword of the fourth genera-
Francis Garner purchased a farm in Cherry Grove Township in 1844; now owned
by Mr. and Mrs. Matt Garner.
Jesse Van Buskirk purchased his 320 acre farm in 1841. It is now being operated
by Mrs. Velma Van Buskirk and her son Clark.
John Rowland and wife (Sara Puterbaugh) came by horse and buggy from Pennsyl-
vaniainl847. From the government he boughta section of land in Cherry Grove Town-
ship. The purchase was signed by President James K. Polk. Farm is now owned by
Mrs. Sibyl Rowland and her son John Loren Rowland. The original home and barn are
still on the farm.
John Morris purchased 480 acres in 1854. The land is now owned by the George
Morris estate; managed by Robert L. Morris.
The H. B. Puterbaugh farm in Cherry Grove Township has been in the family
since 1856 and is now owned by Eva Truman, Verva Robinson, Cora Corbett and June
Wl ' TV * r ■> ft j ■ - ; !<,.
The Puterbaugh family has owned this farm since 1856 when Henry B. Puterbaugh bought it from Francis
Garner and Henry Puterbaugh.
George Finifrock and his wife, Lillie, (pictured) lived here when this picture was taken about 1890.
Elias Finifrock farm, now owned by Stanley Finifrock, was purchased in 1859
and registered at Dixon, Illinois, Land Office and signed by President James K. Polk
to Nathan Fisk. Severe northern Illinois weather caused the Fisks to sell the farm to
Finifrock. Original home still in use.
The Martin farm, located between Lanark and Shannon, was purchased by Henry Martin in 1868 for $500.
His son Harry purchased it in 1908. He lived his entire life here. Walter, grandson of Henry, purchased
the farm in 1950.
The Lowman-Courts farm was purchased in 1861 by D. J. Lowman and is now-
owned by Mrs. Nelle Courts.
In 1848 George W. Puterbaugh bought a farm in Cherry Grove Township, and it
has been in the family more than three generations. Three Puterbaugh men who have
owned the farm were all named George. Present owner and his daughter are living on
the farm now.
Henry Mellinger and wife (Sara Wolff) came by covered wagon from Pennsyl-
vania in 1846 to Mt. Carroll. In 1868 he purchased a farm in Cherry Grove Township.
A son-in-law, John R. Wolf, purchased it in 1877, and in 1918 he and his wife deeded
it to their daughter, Miss Grace Wolf.
The M. W. Copp farm was purchased in 1855 and has been in the family ever
since. It is now owned by Catherine Cook Bornback and her sister Ruth Cook Barauski.
We have reached the bend in the road of time and with feelings of admiration
and respect for the pioneers and a certain nostalgia for those days that are gone, we
look around at Lanark as it is today.
The same quiet beauty that surrounded the early settlers remains in part. Some
of the old houses still stand, and a few are owned by the original families. Many of the
business houses are the same, some modernized and some replaced with new buildings.
Schools have undergone the greatest change - a new high school and a grade
school having been built in the last decade.
This farm has been in the John Wolf family since 1840. Joy Wolf
Sword is the fourth generation owner.
The Stitzel Brothers threshing ring about 1890. Picture is taken on the Bob Guenzler farm. Power was
developed by the horses at the left.
' >n*«%8fr*»^ \
An early picture of Lanark Cemetery and one showing how it appears today.
Our cemetery is still one of the loveliest there is. Since its founding in 1860
the cemetery has grown to a beautifully landscaped area of over 37 acres. The Method-
ists had a church and burial ground in the southeast corner of the present location in
1860. The next year they moved their building into town, but kept the cemetery in their
care until 1880 when they asked the city to take it over. The grounds were about full,
and it was felt to be a city project. The city did so, and bought an additional tract of
land. In 1881 Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Kingery deeded additional land, and the Methodists
deeded their land and plots to the city.
Between 1880-1900 beautiful plantings of shade trees along the boundaries,
arborvitae drives, and three large circles of pine trees and hard maple trees were
made. Memorial services are held within the large circle of maple trees.
In the following pages we will try to set down in a brief way the progress that
has been made.
Lanark has always had a city government. The mayor is elected for four yeai^s
and aldermen are elected for two years. There are three wards with two aldermen to
each. Present city officials are George Peat, mayor; Ward 1 - Melvin Folk, Darius
Krell; Ward 2 -Ralph Glenn, Keith Rogers, aldermen; Ward 3 -Perry Baxter, Emerson
Champion; Robert L. Morris, city attorney; Leslie Fulrath, city marshal; treasurer,
Mrs. Robert Merchant, Jr.; secretary Wm. Flickinger.
Vast improvements have been made in the public utilities. In 1956 a new pumping
plant with a 1300 foot well was built. It delivers 750 gallons per minute; water is
chlorinated and flouridated. A sanitary sewer system was installed in 1938. The Public
Service Company furnishes the electric power for the area. The Northern Illinois
Telephone Company purchased the home-owned company in 1957 and installed a com-
pletely new dial system which was put into service October 31, 1959.
All the city streets were blacktopped in 1939-40. The main street is part of
Illinois highway 72 and 73, and the southern boundary of the city is U. S. highway 52
and Illinois highway 64.
Businesses in 1961 include three medical doctors, one each of the following:
dentist, veterinarian, attorney, drug store, mortician, frozen food locker, shoe repair
shop, hatchery, hotel, motel, jewelry and furniture store, marine service sales
company, accounting service, welding shop, a laundrette, dairy store, greenhouse,
weekly newspaper, advertising newspaper; two banks, two hardware stores, two taverns,
five grocery stores. There are insurance, real estate, farm service and supply com-
panies, grain dealers, elevators, livestock dealers, radio and TV service and sales,
lumber yards, fuel dealers, service stations, garages, motor sales companies, plumb-
ing and heating companies, livestock trucking companies, and produce dealers, beauty
parlors, barber shops, dry goods stores, restaurants and tradesmen of many sorts.
Our industries include Forster-Appelt Co., manufacturers of midget airplane
motors and precision instruments; Buss Bait and Buss Manufacturing Company, makers
of fish baits and bedding; Hygenics Fabricating Co., manufacturers of sterile cloth for
cheese making; Rogers Ready-Mix Co., makers of cement blocks and concrete; and our
largest industry - Green Giant Canning Co. In 1948 Green Giant purchased the
Fuhremann Canning Co. and has done much modernizing. About 3/4 million cases
of peas and corn per year are processed.
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad services the community. The
Union Pacific road uses the same tracks for several of its "crack" west coast trains.
On the next few pages we will tell you about our fire department, churches,
patriotic organizations, service clubs, fraternal orders, youth clubs, etc. bringing our
historical book to its conclusion. Because of space limitations, there has been much
condensing and elimination of detail, but the result is a clear, broad panorama of our
This book was not meant to be a literary gem, but we have tried to present a
factual history, receiving our information from every available source.
We wish to thank all who helped compile the information and who gave pictures.
As we face the second hundred years we must accept the responsibility that
comes with progress, and from these pioneers receive the inspiration and courage to
work together for the realization of our ideals.
Mrs. C. F. Isenberger, Chairman
The churches are in the same locations, some have been completely rebuilt,
others remodeled. Out of these churches have come some fine religious leaders, and
the influence of the teaching is witnessed in the daily association with our neighbors
Lanark Church of the Brethren
Lanark Methodist Church
Church of the Brethren
The territory of the church was formerly part of the Cherry Grove district.
Due to the numbers of members and the difficulty in travel, a division of members
was made in 1876 using the creek north of town as a dividing line. Those residing north
would be in the Cherry Grove district; those south were in the Lanark district.
The church grew rapidly and within a few years two additions were built. In
1910 the present building was erected. Twelve pastors have served during these years:
the Reverend Mr. Murray, I. D. Trout, I. R. Beery, J. M. Moore, Clyde Fourney,
Forrest Eisenbise, I. D. Leatherman, H. F. Richards, Clifford Paul, Walter Bowman,
Lorrel Eikenberry and John Thomas.
The church carries on a full program including Sunday School, Foreign and Home
Missions, Ladies' Aid, and children and youth fellowships.
No musical instruments were used in the services until 1925 when a piano was
purchased. Several years later an electric organ was added.
A weekly paper "The Brethren at Work" was published in Lanark for several
First Methodist Church
The Methodist Church started in 1858 in Cherry Grove Township under Rev. J.
Brown. First services were in Sherwood's school house and one other until 1860-61.
In 1860 the church purchased a lot on the southeast corner of what is now the
cemetery. The building cost $1200 and was dedicated in 1861. But the establishment of
Lanark and the coming of the railroad proved the building to be poorly located. So in
1862 James Wheat was paid $90 to move the building to the corner of Locust and Ro-
chester streets. Church membership was 45.
The original land reverted to Mrs. John Nycum with whom arrangements were
made to deed it to the Methodist trustees for a burial ground and they could sell burial
lots enough to pay for the church lot in town and fence the cemetery. In 1881 the land
was conveyed to Lanark for its cemetery.
When as many as 180 were attending Sunday School in 1867 a larger building was
planned. Lots on the north side of Locust, between Prince and High streets were pur-
chased. The $20,000 church was dedicated in January 1871. Red bricks for the church
were made locally. A used pipe organ was purchased in Chicago and installed in 1889
In 1876 a severe storm blew the main spire down. In 1901 sparks from the
elevator fire ignited the belfry. The east tower was also consumed, but firemen saved
the main part of the church. When repairs were made a new 1700 pound bell was in-
In 1912 extensive remodeling and redecorating took place: pebble dash on ex-
terior, new steam boiler, lights, carpet, oak rail from the John Wolf farm, Flautt
Communion memorial, outside double steps replaced by single tier. Cost $3300.
In 1955 under the leadership of Rev. Irving Bruhn subscriptions of $2150 were
raised to rebuild the organ. He encouraged the congregation to plan for remodeling
to coincide with their centennial. Under Rev. Wm. Johnson extensive plans were made
and in June 1958 a fund campaign launched with the membership pledging $56,000.
Plans included new chancel furniture, pews, lights, carpeting, passenger elevator,
lowering floor of sanctuary, new floors in church parlors, classrooms with folding
doors, new outside steps and sidewalk, and a church office. During the remodeling,
activities were held in the Masonic Temple and American Legion Hall. Membership is
271. There have been 44 pastors.
Cherry Grove Church of the Brethren
(Christian Education Wing)
First Brethren Church
Cherry Grove Church of the Brethren
The Cherry Grove congregation was voted into existence on New Year's Eve
1859. In 1860 work was begun on the spacious meetinghouse which is still in use today.
A hundred years later in 1960 a Christian Education wing was added to furnish eleven
new classrooms as well as restrooms and storage space.
Many people living today cherish fond memories of the past connected with
Cherry Grove. Some have heard their fathers or grandfathers tell of hauling supplies
by wagon from Freeport and Savanna to build the original meetinghouse. Others remem-
ber the traditional two day lovefeast and communion gatherings to which friends from
other congregations would travel for many miles, some even coming by rail from the
The first foreign missionary to be sent by the Church of the Brethren, Christ-
ian Hope, went from Cherry Grove to Denmark in 1875.
Contrary to the modern trend, Cherry Grove remains a rural church beautifully
situated on a large plot of ground in the open country. A spacious ranch-style parson-
age was built close by in 1958 to accommodate a full-time minister.
A rich history lies back of this church which has given rise to two other congre-
gations in the area, one in Lanark and one in Shannon, some eighty years ago. The re-
cent building done here indicates a forward look and a strong faith in the continuing
usefulness of Cherry Grove in doing the work of God's Kingdom.
The First Brethren Church
In 1884 a group of Brethren people called on Z. T. Livengood, pastor of Bethle-
hem Church of Milledgeville, in organizing a church in Lanark. The Rev. Stephen Ba-
shor, an outstanding evangelist, held a series of meetings in the local Baptist church,
and out of these meetings grew The First Brethren Church. The membership that first
year was 25.
The small, dedicated group built a house of worship in 1895, having used the
local Baptist and Congregational buildings. Z. T. Livengood was pastor and served
for sixteen years, then later returned for another nine years. Other pastors were:
J. W. Beer, W. D. Furry, H. Welty, J. H. Knepper, L. G. Smith, D. F. Eikenberry,
B. T. Burnworth, Charles Beekly, Charles Mays, H. D. Fry, C. C. Grisso. G. T. Ronk,
C. Zimmerman, E. D. Burnworth, W. C. Benchoff, Dr. L. McCarthney smith, J. D.
Hamel, H. F. Berkshire, Merle Hawbecker and Raymond Aspinall.
The original building is still used, but in 1919 the sanctuary was enlarged and
an educational unit was added because the membership was over 200. Later improve-
ments were: enlarging the basement, installing cathedral glass windows, remodeling
the sanctuary, installing an electric organ, remodeling the kitchen, furnishing a nursery
and equipping it with a sound-system.
A few of the outstanding Sunday School teachers were E. E. Dubbel, Emma Lichty,
Ella Lichty, Sadie Puterbaugh, Oscar Tallman and Florence Truman. Mrs. Harry
Miller was honored in 1960 for fifty years of teaching. Some of the outstanding superin-
tendents were Will Herrington, Cal Puterbaugh, Christ Rowland, Harry Hepfer, and Ben
The Lutheran Church had its humble beginning December 20, 1874 when twenty
area members met in the Congregational Church to organize. Rev. J. Henderson,
pastor of Maple Grove, and Rev. Bell of Polo were in charge. Charter members were
David and Susan Lower, Conrad and Sabina Diehl, Carl and Joanna Schoen, George and
Margueret Dorr, Jeremiah Slick, Phillip and William Schadt, Sara Flautt, Mrs. Haller,
Anna Speicher, Mary Rosenstinger, Samuel and Mrs. Hassinger, Sophia Willis, Jane
Henderson, and Catherine McCoy.
In the fall of 1876 the congregation erected its own building. The present par-
sonage was built in 1878. In May 1879 the consolidation of Maple Grove and Lanark
congregations was effected. The names of Lowman, Hammond, Cotta, Grossman and
Nichol were added.
Mrs. D. H. Schultz organized the first women's aid called the Mite Society,
later known as the Ladies' Guild, and it was active until 1958. (In 1891 Mrs. Josiah
Kuhn organized the Women's Home and Foreign Missionary Society.) Rev. and Mrs.
Hersch organized all women into the Service League. In 1951 an Altar Guild was formed.
To conform with the women's society of the United Lutheran Church of America the
church women were re-organized in 1958. They have two units -one called the Marion
Unit honoring Marion CroftonRasmussen who with her husband, Rev. Peter Rasmussen,
are serving as missionaries in Japan. In 1890 a theological student, I. K. Reed, and
Miss Stella White organized the Young Peoples' Society of Christian Endeavor.
Rev. Kuhn encouraged the congregation to create a building fund, but it was not
until ten years after he left that the enlarging was completed -in 1905. In 1917 the
church was again enlarged. An electric organ was installed in 1947.
January 10, 1929 a new constitution was adopted and the church incorporated
with the name "Trinity Evangelical Lutheran of Lanark, Illinois."
The influence of Rev. Koepf and teachers was a deciding factor with Robert
Crofton when he decided to enter the ministry, and was ordained in 1953.
Present baptized membership is 377; confirmed membership is 251. Ministers
who served are: J. Henderson, D. H. Shultz, W. T. Bactel, J. A. Beidler, J. Kuhn, E.
F. Ott, Max Herring, I. N. Thomas, M. Colver, G. Bollinger, J. F. Sponseller, C. M.
Wachter, H. C. Summers, H. C. Haithcox, Paul Buelow, M. Lesher, W. E. Kaitschuck,
L. Mueller, W. Koepf, T. B. Hersch, W. West. D. Melbye, and M. Engelhardt.
English Lutheran Church
*i:-V ■ -
Faith Reformed Church
Faith Reformed Church
The Faith Reformed Church was purchased by the Classis of Illinois of the
Reformed Church of America from the board of the former Christian Church of
Lanark on November 11, 1956. It was organized on January 4, 1957 by 18 charter
families. The elders and deacons who were ordained and installed into their offices
of a Consistory on February 3 were: Louis Newendyke, Gerald Pessman, Henry Van
Zuiden, Lawrence Tegler, Clarence Boelkens, and Jacob Dykstra. Rev. Richard Bouw-
kamp was ordained into the ministry and installed as the pastor on May 30, 1957.
In December 1956 the Sunday School was organized for all ages. It accepted the
responsibility of supporting a missionary, the Rev. Samuel Hoffman, who is in Chiapas,
Mexico. The Junior and Senior Christian Endeavor groups meet weekly. The Ladies'
Faith Guild and the Men's Brotherhood were organized in October 1957, meet monthly,
and aim to study and support missions. A Junior Choir is very active. During the fall
and winter months one night a week is family night. Children have catechism; adults
have Bible study and a prayer meeting followed by choir practice and a teachers' meet-
United Church Women
On January 17, 1926, about 60 women of the Lanark District Sunday School As-
sociation met at the Christian Church to form the first Bible Class Federation of women
and girls over 18. The Federation aimed to unite the women for the advancement of
religious, civic and moral issues. Officers were: Mmes. A. D. Moore, Addie Zuck,
and Ada Eckerle. Serving on the board were: Mmes. Eva Royer, Anna Teeter, May
Sword, Ruth Stattler, Emma Snively, Beatrice Hawk and Miss Lydia Steckelberg. They
sponsored a Mother - Daughter Banquet in May and held about 5 meetings a year. On
March 4, 1927 World Day of Prayer for Missions was first observed.
In 1942 they united with the National United Council of Church Women -a new
organization formed by merging the Nation and Home Missions and the Foreign Mis-
In 1954 May Fellowship Day was first observed. Now there are the annual Jan-
uary business meeting, World Day of Prayer, May Fellowship Day and World Com-
Recent projects were sponsoring UNICEF, taking children swimming, renting
educational films about alcohol and narcotics for school use, giving books and maga-
zines to schools on same topics; taking cookies to migrants; inviting migrants into
homes the first Sunday they were in Lanark; and taking holiday meals or birthday treats
to elderly residents in St. Jean Hotel.
Taber's Livery and Feed Stable
Schools in Lanark have made great progress since the first one was established
in the Pierce home. The first building erected in 1865 was destroyed by fire in 1893. In
1894 another building was erected, and an annex added in 1911, and a gymnasium in
1928. A new high school was started in 1950; a grade school in 1958. These house all
12 grades. Rural schools provided for rural children in grades. In 1949 the community
voted to form a unit district and bring all schools under one administration. All rural
schools were closed and the seventh and eighth grades moved into a new addition to
the high school. With the building of a grade school in 1958, all students were housed
in new classrooms. Lanark can be proud of its facilities.
There are now 685 students enrolled in the two schools - an increase of 161 in
nine years. Students have a choice between a college preparatory, vocational, or general
course of study. About forty percent of our students enter college. Our schools are fully
The last 100 years have seen many progressive changes in our schools, and we
anticipate many more. Much credit is due those who have supported the educational
Lanark High School today.
The present Lanark Grade School.
Lanark Fire Department
In 1861 the Lanark Fire Department was founded, and by 1865 or '66 it was known
as The Boyle Hose Co. andmadeupof Engine, Hose, and Rescue Hook and Ladder com-
panies. Martin J. Boyle was the first chief. Foremen were William Beans, C. W. Cham-
berlain, Henry Mayer, G. D. Crinklaw, and John M. Cross.
The 25th anniversary of the department was observed August 25 and 26, 1886.
Ten other towns participated. In one event 10 of Lanark's firemen ran 300 yards with a
hose cart, laid 25yardsof hose, and had water at the nozzle in less than a minute. They
received $100. Lanark made a 300-yard run with their hook and ladder and had a man
at the top of a 15 foot ladder in 48 seconds. At the State Meet in 1887 Lanark won first
and received $250.
The first pumper of the Lanark Fire Department.
The first Firemen's Ball was held in 1879 in the old Opera House with lunch at
the Lanark House.
With proceeds from their winnings, contests, dances, etc. the firemen purchased
"Old Neptune," a hand-operated truck, that took 15 -20 men on the handles. A suction
hose was dropped into a cistern and water pumped through a regular 2-1/2 inch hose.
By 1917 or '18 Old Neptune was used only for Fourth of July fun, but it still operated
well. The Council sold it to the Fox Film Company to use in the movie "The Chicago
In 1917 an ordinance was passed that no fire apparatus could travel over 15
miles per hour in the city! This was after Harry Sites pulled a hose cart behind a Model
T grocery truck and broke a wheel.
In 1924 a Stoughton truck was purchased and housed in the station presently
occupied by the Lamoreux Grocery. In 1928 the new City Hall was built on West Carroll
Street and the fire station moved there. In 1929 a rural fire company was formed by
selling shares to farmers to buy a truck. In 1947 the city bought a truck to replace that.
In 1948 shares were again sold for another truck. The department had difficulty collect-
ing from non-members the fees which were $35 the first hour and $25 after that. So in
1948 a Fire Protection District was formed which is supported by taxation. This district
purchased the equipment from the city and rural communities - and housed it in a very
fine new stone building.
New rural water systems often mean smaller stock tanks and no cisterns, so
water is hauled to farm fires. In 1954 a new 1300 gallon tanker was purchased. The
Illinois Inspection Bureau agreed that if 3,000 gallons were hauled to rural fires there
would be a 6% insurance reduction. So another tanker was purchased in 1957.
In 1953 the need of an Emergency Unit was felt. Enough donations were received
to buy a used ambulance and equipment. At present there is a First Aid Fund made up
of donations from people served.
A truck was needed that could travel in soft fields, so in 1959 a four-wheel-drive
power wagon was purchased. The problems of rushing four and five pieces of equipment
to fires, going for additional water, and perhaps needing neighboring companies, re-
sulted in the decision in 1961 to buy a two-way radio.
There are now 28 members. The only surviving members of the original old
hose company are Wilbur Whitmer, Boyd Barber and Carl Klome.
This blacksmith scene was typical of the early days of this century.
The Lanark Commercial Club was organized November 29,1946 and the follow-
ing officers were elected: Ted Werdin, William Frank, Mrs. Luella Brown and Jack
A number of firms have been contacted by the club about locating in Lanark. In
1949 the Forster Brothers, John, Henry and Frank, and Lawrence Wiebers moved from
Chicago and built their factory and two homes north of the cemetery. Forster Brothers
manufactured miniature airplane motors and high-precision products. In July 1957 John
and Leonard Appelt bought the factory and dwellings. The firm is now the Forster -
Appelt Mfg. Co., Inc.
Through the club the Hygenics Fabrics, Inc. came to 120 South Broad Street in
May 1959. Henry Sorenson is plant manager. The cloth products manufactured there
are used in cheese-making.
In serving the community the club has purchased the blinker light at the junction
of highways 72, 73, 64 and 52; installed a drinking fountain at Locust and Broad Streets;
worked with the Lions Club in building the city park shelter house and restrooms; de-
corated the streets at Christmas and given children their treats.
Present officers are Claude Stauffer, Lester Jones, Roswell Packard and Hugh
The canning factory in an early time.
The Lions Club was chartered in 1956 with 213 in attendance -nineteen of them
visitors from other clubs. There are 42 charter members, and the following have
served as president: C. E. Cheek, Henry Sorensen, Howard Cassens, Arthur Rostron,
C. F. Isenberger.
Major projects of this service club have been building two tennis courts, erect-
ing new street signs, building a shelter house in the park with the assistance of the
Commercial Club, supplying disposal containers for the downtown streets , co-sponsor-
ing the Centennial Celebration.
Objects of the Lions Clubs are: To create and foster a spirit of generous con-
sideration among the peoples of the world through a study of the problems of interna-
tional relationships from the standpoint of business and professional ethics.
To promote the theory and practice of the principles of good government and
To take an active interest in the civic, commercial, social and moral welfare
of the community.
To unite the members in the bonds of friendship, good fellowship, and mutual
To provide a forum for the full and free discussion of all matters of public in-
terest, partisan politics and sectarian religion alone excepted.
To encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in business and pro-
fessions; provided that no club shall hold out as one of its objects financial benefits to
This was once a woolen mill where blankets were made. It had become a poultry house by the time this
picture was taken.
The Lanark Woman's Club was organized February 12, 1929 by eleven members:
Mmes. Agnes Peebles, Grace Franck, Cora Livengood, Grace Engles, Fannie Moll,
Verna Campbell, Etta Packard, Virginia Howell (first president), Hazel Mathias,
Lottie Miller and Miss Winifred Miller. The object of the club was the mutual improve-
ment of its members, and the promotion of good fellowship and helpfulness in intellec-
tual and useful pursuits. Soon after organizing, the club joined the District and State
Federations. The group met in homes, in the Legion Hall, again homes, in the Commun-
ity Room, and at present meets in the Methodist Church parlors.
Throughout the years the club has contributed to all federation projects, the
Community Chest, etc. and students have been sent to music camps. For 27 years it
has been actively concerned about a library.
In 1930 eighteen books were purchased for a private library which was available
to the city. Early in 1942 a 5,000 volume library in the White sisters' home was given
Lanark. Requests about the care of the books led to the responsibility being given to
the Woman's Club. A committee selected 2500 usable volumes. Members gave $1
donations for the preparation of a room over the National Bank which gave free use
of the room. The library officially opened in 1944, and for twelve years members took
turns as librarians. Many projects were undertaken to earn money for this, and the
Community Chest shared its gifts.
In 1957 the Library Committee circulated a petition favoring a property tax
levy of .10%. Much credit is due Mr. and Mrs. Harry Lowman for informing groups
about library laws, tax levies, etc. The city voted for the levy and elected a board.
The library is now in the Sites Building on Locust Street. The accessible, attractive
rooms, increased volumes, and association with the State Library is very much appre-
ciated by Lanark citizens.
Parent- Teacher Association
Lanark PTA was organized February 14, 1921 and a constitution adopted.
Dues were 10£ per member or more - at their discretion. The first meeting brought 90
people, and all year the attendance was from 80 - 100 persons. Officers were Rev.
B. T. Burnworth, president; Miss Elizabeth Sprecher, secretary-treasurer; Mrs.
Elmer Zuck, high school vice-president; and Mrs. Harry Gossard, grade school vice-
Money-making projects for school activities have always occupied a great deal
of time. Many worth-while projects have been financed to help the schools and to pro-
mote good relations between homes and schools: library books for grades, a piano, a
camera, electric food mixers for cafeteria, donations toward the public address system
in grade school, high school band uniforms, community Halloween parties, and sponsor-
ship of Brownie Troops.
1961 officers are Mrs. Clifford Sichta, Mrs. Charles Burkholder, Mrs. Joseph
Rath and Mrs. Robert Queckboerner.
Wa Tan Ye Club
The Wa Tan Ye Club, abusiness women's service club, was organized September
5, 1950. Charter members were Mmes. Myrtle Baum, Luella Brown, Lewis Cram,
Henry Engelking, Marlin Gaul, Fred Good, S. Hodes, Mabel Hoy, Cora Lindsay, Henry
Sorenson, Juliette St. Jean, Roy Rife, Albert Warfel and Harold Zenter, the Misses
Lorraine and Mary Ewing, Joyce Guentner, Pearl and Esther Kniss, Delores Peat,
Florence and Hazel Schultz.
The initiatory service, held in the American Legion hall, was conducted by Mrs.
Lucille Stransky of Savanna, national president, Genevieve Butler of Dubuque, Iowa,
national vice-president, Marcella Sack of Mt. Carroll, and Mrs. Edith Bather of
Clinton, Iowa. For some years meetings were held in the St. Jean Hotel and then in
The president is now Mrs. Herbert Evans, and the 1961 motto is "Service Fore-
Wa Tan Ye signifies "Foremost," and the members have been serving their
community well. In 1953 they bought street signs for Lanark, and over the years they
have helped with the heart fund, cancer and Red Cross drives, and sponsored a Cub
Freeport Memorial Hospital Auxiliary
The Lanark Auxiliary of the Freeport Deaconess Hospital was organized Octob-
er 22, 1951. Personnel from the hospital and Freeport Auxiliary helped organize for
the purpose of promoting and advancing the welfare of the hospital and its patients.
First officers were Mrs. Earl Robison, Mrs. MacHarper Seyfarth, Mrs. Earl Bear
and Mrs. Harry Lowman.
At first collections were taken at each meeting to help defray expenses, then
it was voted to pay annual dues of $1. Additional money was raised by special projects.
Money was given for student nurse scholarships, Hi-Lo bed and mattress, commode on
a cart, inhalator cart, and $150 for a light in the emergency room.
At meetings members worked folding papers, wrapping sponges, folding flats,
etc. for the hospital.
In 1960 when the hospital changed its name to Freeport Memorial Hospital, the
auxiliary changed its name.
A Post of the American Legion was organized November 8, 1919 by World War
I veterans. December 13 a charter was issued to this Charles Y. Crouse Post No. 357,
named in honor of the first citizen to give his life.
Elmer A. Lockwood was the first commander, and meetings were in rooms over
the National Bank. Charter members were: John Crouse, Harry Engles, Zack Kinkade,
John R. Snively, Frank Myers, Zernie Brenaman, J. D. Chisholm, E. A. Lockwood,
Dr. E. L. Hendricks, L. J. Hartman, H. H. Horner, F. G. Trousdale, Dan Eckman, S.
R. Brenaman, Harold Hogan, Clayton Bowman, Albert Michaels, J. F. Miller, Roswell
Packard, Clyde Newcomer, James M. Garner, Lester Rahn, Glenn Heyer, Leslie Rog-
ers, George Peat and Boyd Gams.
In 1946 when World War H veterans began joining the Legion a new charter was
issued, and the name became Crouse -Engles Post -to include the name of Allen Engles,
the first World War II casualty.
In 1947, with the help of Lanark citizens, the Legion purchased the Glotfelty
building on Broad Street as a memorial to veterans of all wars.
The Post has sponsored many civic projects: sent a boy each year to Boys'
State, organized a Junior Baseball team, gave medals to outstanding eighth grade
graduates, and sponsored Boy Scouts. Max Sisler is the present commander.
The Old Stone Bridge, an early landmark near Lanark.
American Legion Auxiliary
The American Legion Auxiliary of Lanark originated from Charles Y. Crouse
Post, No. 357, on April 22, 1922whena group of wives, mothers and sisters of members
of the Post organized.
Mrs. T. I. Packard was the first president, and Mrs. Katharine Crouse, a chart-
er member and mother of Charles Crouse, was the first and only "Gold Star" mother
for many years.
In 1946 the name of the Post was changed to Crouse - Engles Post in honor of
Alan Engles, first casualty of World War II, and new charters were presented to the
Post and the Auxiliary.
Charter members were Mary and Edna Bender, Marianne Brenaman, Opal
Chisholm, Grace Dahnke, Carrie Diff enderf er , Violet Dorland, Alice Eckman, Mabelle
Eastabrook, Elsie Fulrath, Edith Hartman, Olive Hendricks, Hazel Hepfer, Annie
Musselman, Etta Packard, Ruth Packard, Emma Snively, Emily Snively, Mary Snively,
Josephine Taylor, Bernice Trousdale, Julia Wales and Elizabeth Wise.
"Gold Star" Mothers are: Mmes. Katharine Crouse, Clifford Engles, Earl
Rahn, Ben Rosenberry, Albert Warfel, Russell Zier and Norman Hoffman.
The work of the Auxiliary is chiefly in Rehabilitation and Child Welfare.
Veterans' hospitals and orphanages are filled with victims of wars - those blots on
history. The national government supplies the creature comforts for the unfortunate
people, but over the years, the Auxiliary units provide the many "little extras."
Grace Sweitzer, the current president, served in that capacity four other times.
Since 1943 the Auxiliary has sponsored a girl from the Junior Class of the
high school for a week's citizenship training at Illini Girls' State.
Shiloh Women's Relief Corps
After the Civil War the Soldiers' Aid Societies that had given relief to soldiers
and their families disbanded. Years later loyal women organized as the Women's Re-
lief Corps to give aid and comfort to unfortunate comrades.
The WRC is the oldest patriotic organization in the U.S. In 1893 eighteen
charter members began this corps with their officers: Nancy Sprecher, Anna Lafferty,
Lettie Dresbach, Elizabeth Keller, Anna Bailey, Ora Sprecher, Rose Glotfelty, Lizzie
Haller, Anna Sprecher, and Matilda Ford.
About 1900 Shiloh had the first and only magazine of any Corps. Other projects
have been: soliciting for a resuscitator and blankets; putting a granite memorial mark-
er on the high school grounds; marking all GAR graves; sponsoring essay scholarships
to colleges (Russell Brooke went to Northwestern, Helen Wilkin to Carthage College);
giving flags to schools, American Legion and Boy Scouts; giving an electric clock on
Broad Street as a war memorial; sponsoring the first memorial services in 1927;
doing Red Cross work; instigating the Rock Creek Comfort Station. Six lots in the
Cemetery were endowed by Mrs. Fannie Hegeman for members of the Post and of the
Rock Creek Grange
The Grange, a fraternal family organization, first started here 89 years ago.
Energetic farmers organized 12 others in this area. D. N. Foster, a state deputy
from Whiteside County, organized Rock Creek Grange #53 in 1872 in the home of
D. S. Belding. Master D. W. Dame was assisted by these officers: Charles Cogswell,
W. J. Dimon, W. M. Belding, Leonard Cogswell, D. Belding, C. Hagerman, I. Hodge,
Mrs. L. Dame, Mrs. Fanny Hagerman, Mrs. D. Belding, Mrs. Lucy Cogswell. Male
dues were $3; female dues 50£. Regular meeting was fixed for the Friday evening on
or before the full moon of each month in members' homes. In 1873 D. W. Dame was
on the state transportation committee, and in 1874 he was chairman of the state Execu-
The Rock Creek Grange, community center.
Charles Cotta, a native of Carroll County, built a steam powered
car in Lanark in 1901.
tive Committee, and Mrs. Dame was Ceres. July 4, 1873 over 5,000 Grangers cele-
brated in Elkorn Grove at "Uncle Harry Smith's." Fifteen years of Grange agitation
brought about important state and national legislation concerning interstate commerce,
and township and county mutual insurance companies.
The Grange was active only a few years. Then in 1940 National Deputy Clifford
Rugg met with Reynold Bloyer to organize a new Grange. Meetings were held in the
North Otter Creek School, and the name Rock Creek Grange #1908 was chosen. As
membership grew, meetings were held in the C. C. Center beginning in 1942. A mem-
bership drive netted 57 members and won the second place state banner. When the
C.C.C. building was sold, the Grangers met in homes, the Masonic Temple a year,
and Meek's Dining Room until 1952 when the Good School east of town was purchased.
A kitchen was added, oil heat installed, etc.
Maude Lang has been state Lady Assistant Steward for several years. James
and Gladys Keeney were the 1956 Illinois Couple of the Year.
The Grange offers its grounds for a public picnic area; use of the hall is free
for special 4-H, etc. observances; needy are helped; polio drives sponsored; youths are
sent to camp. t
Present Master is Francis Prowant.
C. C. Circle
In 1920 when some rural neighbors met with Mrs. Frank Fritz, Mrs. Charlie
Weed suggested that a meeting be called to organize farm women. Thirty met at the
Maple Grove Church May 7 and organized the Crooked Creek Circle. It aimed to help
fellow citizens to improve the community. Elected to office were Mmes. Charlie
Diehl, Sylvia Puterbaugh, Lester Rahn and Charlie Weed.
The first regular meeting was in June at the home of Mrs. David Courts. Their
own band played, and the Farm Adviser, G. R. Bliss, spoke.
When the Circle grew to over a hundred farm ladies the Maple Grove Church
was purchased in 1926, and the building named the C. C. Community Center.
Some activities have been: working with the Farmers' Institute and Farm
Bureau, helping with the Carroll Co. pageant, assisting needy families, donating to
USO, and serving banquets to farm organizations. A bronze plaque in memory of sol-
diers of World War II was placed on the south side of the National Bank.
The membership decreased by 1950 so that it was decided to sell the building
and meet in homes. Twenty charter members still belong, and Mrs. Addie Zuck is the
eldest. At present the Circle is a social group directed by Mmes. Raymond Grove,
Charlie Diehl, Earl Carbaugh, Myrtle Baum and Roy Rupp.
The Lanark Mothers' Club was started in October of 1929 by twenty women. Mrs.
Glenn Wise called the women together in her home to organize a study group affiliated
with the PARENTS' MAGAZINE study course, in order that a better parent -child re-
lationship might be established. Although no longer a member, in 1950, Mrs. Wise
entertained the charter and current members in her home at a lovely "coming of age"
Charter members were: Mmes. Lew Bates, Jack Buche, Don Chisholm, Ralph
Dyslin, George Garber, Leslie Hoak, George Jones, Harry Lowman, Leslie Merchant,
O. B. Newcomer, Les Rahn, H. B. Rahn, Rex Rahn, Jessie Sigglekow, Emory Tallman,
Albert Warfel, Ethel Weed, D. R. Weed, I. D. Leatherman and Glenn Wise.
Present officers are: Mrs. James Jones, Mrs. Paul Johnson and Mrs. Matt
The first record of meetings of the Masonic Lodge was February 13, 1864.
Officers were Charles Cogswell, D. W. Dame, William Bean, George Puterbaugh,
John M. Crinklaw, W. F. Ward and Mr. Tyler. The charter of the Lanark Lodge
#423 A.F.O.A.M. was granted October 4, 1865. Meetings were held over the bakery.
In 1921 the members built a two-story, splendid brick building.
The town dray about 1880 hauling broom corn for a broom maker, Mr. Schilling.
Beltista Chapter No. 515
The order of Eastern Star was established in the U.S. in 1778. On July 20,
1871 a charter was issued to Irma Chapter No. 76 at Lanark. Anna Harnish was Worthy
Matron; W. H. Wales, Worthy Patron; and Hattie M. Smith, Associate Matron. Other
charter members were Lizzie Wales, Winnie Snyder, Emma Van Velken, H. H. Noble,
Amanda Hamilton, Mary Dingee, and R. S. Wickey. Masonic brothers on the document
were G. F. Van Velken, Benjamin Noble, E. W. Dingee, I. L. Hamilton, James Compton,
George A. Smith, Henry Wickey, H. W. Wales, M. B. Harnish, and D. H. Snyder. Little
is known regarding the activity or dissolution of this chapter.
In 1903 Clara M. Kremmer of Ola Chapter, Mt. Carroll, called on Masonic
families about organizing a chapter. On May 28 a meeting was held, requirements met,
and the organized chapter named Beltista which means "Best of its kind."
June 12, 1903 the institution of the new chapter was held. Officers were:
Grace Franck, E. D. Leland, Phoebe Yeager, Helen Middlekauff, Ora Sprecher, Ora
Strickler, Jennie Staley, Harriet Noble, Lizzie Wales, Etta Packard, Mary R. Stuart,
Mary K. Dors, Ella Swigert, Rose Redline, Agnes Woodside, Cora McLaughlin and
E. D. Frank.
The chapter met at the Masonic Temple above the bakery on Broad Street until
April 6, 1922 when the new temple was dedicated.
In 1930 Jennie Klome received her commission as a Grand Lecturer and has
served ever since. A Past Matrons' Club was organized in 1950. In 1961 Ramah
Chapter, Chadwick, merged with Beltista Chapter.
Etta Packard, Rose Redline, and Cora McLaughJlin are the surviving charter
members. Fifty-year members include May Wiley, Anna Hower, and Amy Morris.
Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Bird are Worthy Patron and Matron.
The Lanark Troup 61 of Boy Scouts was chartered in February 1926. Rev. Eckert,
pastor of the Church of God, was the first Scout Master. In 1938 the American Legion
became sponsors of the group and still are.
Troup 61 has its own camp. Nearly all members attend Canyon Camp every year
for a week. Several boys have attended the big Philmont Scout Camp at Cimmeron,
New Mexico. The National Jamborees have also been attended by some of our boys.
"Skipper" Hugh Davies and Kenneth Gossard went to the California Jamboree in 1953.
Gary Downs attended the 1957 and 1960 Jamborees in Valley Forge and Colorado
The highest award in Scouting is that of Eagle Scout. To receive this a Scout
must earn twenty-one merit badges in as many subjects. In 1931 Harlan Downs was
the first Carroll County Scout to ever receive this. Later Hadley Moore and Eldon Low-
er became Eagle Scouts.
Many are the good turns Troop 61 has done for Lanark. For twenty-two years
the boys have placed the street flags. On Memorial Day they decorated the soldiers'
graves. They distributed Civil Defense books of emergencies, and "Get Out the Vote"
George Wales helped with Scouting for 22 years, a Master for 18. James Jones
is the present Scout Master.
4-H Club work began in Lanark in 1928 as the Lanark Agricultural Club under
the leadership of Donald Duncan. The name has changed several times, and at one
time the club divided into the West End and East End clubs, but in 1950 combined
to form the present Lanark Larkers.
Other leaders have been Wesley Langdoc, Melvin Stengel, Maurice Guenzler,
Kenneth Kniss, Howard Cassens, Russell Lamoreux, Merle Sturtevant and Kenneth
An annual livestock show was held for several years at the Claude Cook farm
south of Lanark, then moved to the old fair grounds at Mt. Carroll, back to Lanark,
and then to Savanna's Old Mill Park. Entries have become so numerous at this annual
4-H Round-up it has become a two and three-day affair,
up it has become a two and three -day affair.
Clubs began as livestock groups, but now almost any field is included. In 1937
the first home economics club began here when Mrs. Melvin Stengel, Miss Ella Sue
Beck and Miss Phyllis Buche led a sewing club.
In 1942 the Tip-Toppers (cooking unit) began under Mrs. Henry Engelking's
direction. Other leaders were Mmes. Delmar Lang, Orville Bowers, Robert Lichty,
Dean Lower, Charles Burkholder, and at present Miss Falodene Winters.
The Wonder Workers (sewing unit) began in 1947. Special mention goes to Mrs.
Ralph Glenn for leading eleven years, and Mrs. Russell Rahn for six years. Others
were Mmes. Paul Sweitzer, Stanley Finifrock, Lloyd Edler, Kenneth Blakesley, Ronald
Hoover, Earl Kaufman, Harlan Rogers, Ward Frederick, Herbert Brantner, John Max-
well, James Miller, Ralph Flickinger and Robert Queckboerner. From 1950-52 there
was a junior division of this unit. Girls who sent garments or participated in the cloth-
ing revue at state fair were Marilee Lotz, Carolyn Erbsen, Margaret Stitzel, Velma
Amling, Patty Graham, Elaine Hawbecker, Sharon Flickinger, Donna Lee Adams, Joan
The Rockettes Club was organized in March 1955 in order to have a rural group
east of Lanark. They have studied ten different projects. Those who have gone to state
fair are Lorena Grove, Paulette Sheridan, Patricia Sheridan, Connie Libberton and
Dianne Flickinger. In 1960 the entire club went to the fair with their Share-the-Fun
act. For two years the club was the county Club-of -the -Year. Since its beginning the
leader has been Mrs. Orval Schoonhoven, with part-time assistance from Mrs. Oliver
Vietmeyer and Mrs. Robert Enge Iking.
The Brookville Ramblers, a livestock unit, has been led for seven years by
Emmerson Iske and Clarence Van de Velde. Gary Flickinger has gone to state fair.
In 1946 Home Bureau units were organized in the county. Lanark has four day-
time units and one evening group. Home Bureau is an association of women interested
in education for home-making. Any woman may belong. A Home Adviser meets every
other month to give the major lesson; other lessons are given by women in the units.
Girl Scouts started in 1940 with Mrs. E. Walters as their first leader. In the
early years Mrs. Emerson Champion and Mrs. Allen Zier were leaders, too.
D. W. Dame purchased the land, under auspices of the Northern
Illinois Railroad, and laid out the city of Lanark. He was the first
mayor of Lanark.
D. W. DAME, born in Sandwich, New Hampshire in 1820, came to Carroll Co.,
Illinois in June 1857. He located in Section 29, Rock Creek Township, on a 500 acre
farm. The Northern Illinois Railroad hired him to purchase the land and lay out the
city of Lanark. He was its first mayor and instrumental in much progress in the area,
served on the state legislature, and held many city, county and state offices.
DR. H. W. WALES, born in Ogle County in 1840, came to Lanark in 1864 to
practice medicine. He enlisted in the Union Army and was active for the duration,
then returned here to practice for many years. Dr. Wales owned the first automobile
in Lanark, and the day he brought it home school was dismissed so children could see
the new "horseless carriage."
MISS LILLIAM CLEMMER taught school fifty years in Lanark and three
years in the area before coming here in 1886. Many of our citizens have a common
school bond, in that they had her for a teacher of history and geography in their junior
high years. Summers she often traveled and visited most of the United States and Alas-
ka, and several European countries. She was active in civic and church organizations
and especially enjoyed good music, plays and lectures. Eleven girls made their home
with her while going to school.
W. H. HESS was born in 1853 on a farm north of Mt. Carroll and moved to Lanark
in 1860. His father operated one of the first hardware stores here, and he succeeded
his father in the business. Later he worked for the First National Bank. Investment
properties were his main interest, and many of Lanark's homes were built by him.
He is survived by a daughter, Miss Leona Hess.
These senior citizens of Lanark could each write or tell a book about Lanark:
Mmes. Mary Peters, Carrie Erisman, Adelaide Dambman, Addie Zuck, George Morris,
Rose Hermann, Anna Manning, Harry Force, Maynie Peters, Len Zier, Jennie Sipe, and
Messrs. John Zier, William Sites, and John Bowers.
Do You Remember?
Petey Wales' piano accompaniments for silent movies and song-fests? And his Great
The city ordinances prohibiting throwing snow balls, and Sunday ball games?
Dr. Henry Wales' first car -a Cadillac?
The Old Opera House?
That David Becker planted the first orchard?
The log cabin that stood near the Frank Zier farm from 1838 - 1958? (Frank and Ray-
mond Zier, Jake and Everet Sturtevant and Mrs. Lloyd Rogers are descendants of Wm.
Boardman, the builder of cabin.)
Wooden sidewalks? Then black-topped ones?
Wm. Hogan of the City Drug exhibiting a new phonograph, and playing songs and
political speeches on request?
McKenney Bros, and Lafferty Store advertising everything from a darning needle to
a threshing machine in 1897.
The old windmill at Broad and Carroll Streets that pumped water for the city until
That an airplane was built east of Lanark?
That a Cotta car was built here in 1903?
The high school band went to Flint, Michigan to the National Band contest May 21,
When the property owners on West Pearl Street paved the street at a cost of $2 per
frontage foot per property owner?
That a Dodge touring car cost $862 in 1939?
That in 1939 Carroll County celebrated its centennial?
When the firebell hung from two posts in front of George Wales' grocery?
That the first time automobiles were in the Old Settlers' parade was in 1910?
That at one time Lanark had 14 "secret societies?"
When Lanark had a 35 -piece cornet band under the direction of D. C. Pfautz?
Elevator and Machinery-
• Minneapolis-Moline • Kewanee
• New Holland • Gehl
GRAIN — FEEDS — SEEDS — FERTILIZER
MEN'S AND BOYS' WEAR
From Farm to Freezer
Phone HY 3-2370 Lanark, Illinois
Mt. Carroll, Illinois
DRY GOODS and
READY TO WEAR
EUREKA SPRINGS POET'S WORK IS TAUGHT IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
True fame being the nebulous thing it is, few poets live to see their work taught
in the public schools. A prime exception is Glenn Ward Dresbach of Eureka Springs,
whose 71 years in the service of poetry has recently led to his election to the Inter-
national Institute of Arts and Letters.
A native of Lanark, Carroll County, Illinois, Dresbach moved to Carroll County,
Arkansas, in 1941 following an illustrious twin career of business and poetry. He has
published 11 volumes of poetry, climaxing with "Collected Poems, 1914-1948" (Cax-
ton Printers, Ltd.) in 1950.
The Last Corn Shock
- Glenn Ward Dresbach -
I remember how we stood
In the field, while far away
Blue hazes drifted on from hill to hill
And curled like smoke from many a sunset wood,
And the loaded wagon creaked while standing still . .
I heard my father say,
"The last corn shock can stay."
We had seen a pheasant there
In the sun; he went inside
As if he claimed the shock, as if he meant
To show us, with the field so nearly bare,
We had no right to take his rustic tent.
And so we circled wide
For home, and let him hide.
The first wild ducks flashed by
Where the pasture brook could hold
The sunset at the curve, and drifting floss
Escaped the wind and clung. The shocks were dry
And rustled on the wagon. Far across
The field, against the cold,
The last shock turned to gold.
From THE COLLECTED POEMS, 1914-
1948, of GLENN WARD DRESBACH
(The Caxton Printers, Ltd., Caldwell,
BOARD OF DIRECTORS & DIVISION CHAIRMEN
SEATED- Warren Barklow, Director; Maude Lang, Chairman Spectacle Ticket Division; Harriet Liston,
Chairman Participation Division; Joyce McKean, Co-chairman Spectacle Ticket Division; Ralph Garner,
Director & Chairman Hospitality Division; Dr. C. F.Isenberger, Chairman Publicity Division. STANDING -
Cliff Sichta, Chairman Spectacle Division; Howard Nelson, Director; Harlan Carbaugh, Director & Chairman
Participation Division; Emerson Champion, Chairman Revenue Division; Naaman Diehl, President; John
Shippee, Director; Frank Sisler, Vice-president; Claude Stauffer, Director; William Shearer, General
Chairman. NOT SHOWN - Dorothy Nelson, Secretary; Bill & Dick Flickinger, Treasurers; Earl Nailor,
Chairman Special Events Division.
SEATED -Joyce Blair, Lucille Champion, Ruth Geary. STANDING -
Jerry Blair; Warren Barklow, Chairman; Dr. C. F. Isenberger,
Division Chairman; Wales Geary.
SCENARIO & TITLE COMMITTEE
LEFT TO RIGHT -Mrs. Earl Derrer, Mrs. A. Y. Thomson, Mrs.
Nelle Courts, Chairman.
HART SCHAFFNER & MARX CLOTHES
— Freeport's Finest Men's Store —
ARROW SHIRTS DOBBS HATS
"Air Conditioned, Facilities For All Occasions"
• Marine Dining Room
• Bronze Steer Lounge
• Garden Room
• Cruise Room
Treat Your Family To A Fine Sunday Dinner
DIAL AD 2-3161 FREEPORT, ILL.
Lanark TV Center
Our 27th Year of Electronic
Leadership With Service
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY LANARK"
H. L. DOWNS
HY 3-2581 Lanark, III.
GREETINGS ON LANARK'S 100th YEAR
Your Friendly Oil Man
SHANNON % ILLINOIS
Lanark — Congratulations
• Back Hole Digging
• Ditch Digging
— CONGRATULATIONS LANARK —
B. L Distributors
Dick and Bess Roche
To Lanark — "A Happy Birthday"
Crawford Drug Store
111 W. Stephenson St. — Freeport, Illinois
J. A. Crawford, R.Ph. Geo. J. Henkel, R.Ph.
"A Salute To Lanark"
"SAY IT WITH FLOWERS"
Phone: CA 5-4661 - Milledgeville, III.
Hartman's Cafe - Mt. Carroll, III.
"Your F.S.T. Man"
f * .
in ^ <
SEATED -Mrs. Caralee Aschenbrenner, Mrs. Marian Peat.
STANDING -Roswell Packard, Chairman; Harlan Carbaugh; Robert
Schoen; Hugh Pettinger.
AUDIENCE AREA COMMITTEE
SEATED - Francis Kloepping, James Myers, Elmer Kaufman, Chair-
man. STANDING -Wayne Derrer, Ray Lower.
CELEBRATION BELLES COMMITTEE
SEATED -Mrs. Velma Gillogly; Mrs. Erna Garner, Chairman; Mrs.
Betty Wiebers. STANDING - Mrs. Helen Rahn, Mrs. Alma Rahn, Mrs.
Lucille Hammond. NOT SHOWN -Rita Tallman.
HISTORICAL WINDOWS COMMITTEE
SEATED - Mrs. John Henze, Mrs. Barbara Roth, Mrs. Ruth Geary,
Mrs. Jeannine Carroll. STANDING -John Henze, Mrs. Martin Gaul,
Mrs. Caralee Aschenbrenner, Sherman Brenaman, Henry Sorensen,
"We're Good Mixers' 1
FORRESTON - LANARK & POLO
Call HY 3-2311 Lanark, Illinois
L. P. Thermogas
HYacinth 3-2325 E Locust Street
Merchants Chevrolet Sales
and Service Man
on Route 64
Individual Heat - Television - Air Conditioned
A GIFT FOR THE HOME
Sites Oil Company
— Everything Electric —
CELEBRATION BALL COMMITTEE
SEATED -Mrs. Ruth Witt, Mrs. Ardlth Winters, Mrs. Marilyn
Christiansen. STANDING- Max Sisler, James M. Miller, E. K.
DIGNITARIES & GUESTS COMMITTEE
SEATED -Mrs. J. K. Morris, Mrs. Elmer Johnson. STANDING -
J. K. Morris, Elmer Johnson, Chairman.
LADIES SUNBONNET & DRESS COMMITTEE
SEATED -Mrs. Minerva Prowant, Mrs. Barbara Lower, Mrs. Ruth
Rupp. STANDING- Mrs. Eleanora Champion, Chairman; Mrs.
Catherine Warner; Mrs. Hattie Brantner.
RADIO & TELEVISION COMMITTEE
STANDING- James Jones; Rev. William Johnson, Chairman; James
Plumbing & Heating
Home HY 3-2498 — Shop HY 3-2686
Your Dependable Store For Quality Merchandise
Congratulations Lanark !
I am your Jolly Milk Hauler
in this area.
Your Implement Dealer
WINSLOW SHOE CO.
14 West Stephenson Street
See Me For Your Plumbing Problems
Installing New Fixtures
Limestone & Gravel at all Times
See Us For Full Details
'EVERY SIRE PROVED GREAT'
Earl Listort, owner
Lanark HY 3-2509
Shannon VO 4-2450
Forreston YE 8-2450
Mt. Carroll 4661
PATRONS TICKET COMMITTEE
SEATED -Mrs. Leona Willis, Mrs. Joy Sword, Chairman. STAND-
ING -Reynold Bloyer, Vincent Olson, Co-chairman. NOT SHOWN -
SEATED -Mrs. Grace Burmeister, Mrs. Ruth Sisler, Chairman.
STANDING -Francis Engles, Earl Robison. NOT SHOWN -Ruth
THE SHILOH BELLES CHAPTER
SEATED -Mrs. Cora Dale, Mrs. Merle Heineman, Mrs. Mary Rausch, Mrs. Lois Myers, Mrs. Mabel Hoy,
Mrs. Lawrence Haught, Mrs. Minnie Champion. STANDING - Mrs. Everett Johns, Mrs. Hazel Forry, Mrs.
Geraldine Ferry, Mrs. Freda Michael, Mrs. Wm. Rodermel, Mrs. Anna Kimpel, Mrs. Linnie Bornemeier,
Mrs. Randall Downs, Mrs. Everett Sorensen, Mrs. Roy Rupp, Mrs. Irvin Elliott, Mrs. Edna Schreiner, Mrs.
Harlan Downs, and Mrs. Esther Hoover.
Call HY 3-2560
For All Your Printing Needs
"Service Is Our Motto 1 '
Norman Hoffman— Prop.
THE FRIENDLY FRANKLIN LIFE INSURANCE
COMPANY IS REPRESENTED AT YOUR 100-
YEAR BIRTHDAY PARTY. WE ARE HAPPY TO
BE PART OF SO NICE AN OCCASION.
FRANKLIN LIFE INSURANCE CO.
Founded 1884 — Springfield, Illinois
Victor L. Duray general agent
8% North Galena Avenue
"Where Smart Women
Buy Their Clothes"
28 W. Stephenson Freeport, Illinois
Mt. Carroll, Illinois
Hollis and Clara Meeks
PIZZA— The Best in Carroll County
STEAKS SEA FOOD
Greetings To Lanark on TOO Years
MT. CARROLL, ILLINOIS
CONGRATULATIONS TO LANARK
C. H. LITTLE & COMPANY
CHINA • GLASSWARE
House Furnishings — Toys
Lamps — Silverware
Gifts — Electric Appliances
Brown's Print Shop . . Milledgeville
Earl Robinson Lanark
P.L.S. Corner Market Lanark
H & J Cafe Lanark
Margie's Beauty Shop .... Lanark
Lindsey's Tavern Lanark
Weber's Tavern Shannon
TRAFFIC & SAFETY COMMITTEE
SEATED- Larry Christiansen; Leslie Fulrath, Chairman; Irving Merkel; Donald Adams. STANDING - Steve
Schleuning, Howard Meacham, Robert Aikens, Neil Henry, Leroy Frey, Allan Garner.
SEATED - Howard Nelson, Mrs. Ethelyn Rahn, Melvin Folk, Chair-
man. STANDING - Robert Guenzler, Mrs. Rex Lower, Mrs. Ruth
Bowers, Kenneth Truman. NOT SHOWN - Mrs. James Lindsay.
PIONEER EVENT COMMITTEE
SEATED -Mrs. Edmo Zuck, Miss Mary Ewing, Mrs. Beth Piesen.
STANDING - Miss Lorraine Ewing, Mrs. Hazel Mathias, Mrs. Harold
Eisenbise, Mrs. Besse Bowers. NOT SHOWN -Arthur Guentner,
M. H. Gillogly
Phone: HY 3-2570
MT. CARROLL, ILLINOIS
To The Century Of Progress In Lanark"
Roswell W. Packard
"Living Insurance — For A Better Living"
Equitable Life Assurance Society of U.S.
HY 3-2149 Lanark, III.
Congratulations to the Lanark Centennial
Folk Spray and
"Faster & Better Service For Your Money"
ROSS M. FOLK
Phone HY 3-6572 Lanark. Illinois
Morton Salt Co.
The Clark Co.
PHONE 6-2822 POLO, ILL.
HISTORICAL BOOK COMMITTEE
SEATED -Evelyn Kloepping; Mildred Shaner; Annette Isenberger,
Chairman; Marie Lamoreux. STANDING - Leone Pettinger, John
Kloepping, Leona Hess, R. Dieter, Emma Sherwood. NOT SHOWN -
Leona Elmer. Frank WallirW
COSTUME & MAKE-UP COMMITTEE
SEATED -Mrs. Betty Wiebers, Mrs. Margaret Zentner, Mrs.
Jeannine Carroll, Chairman. STANDING - Mrs. Rose Shepard, Mrs.
Carolee Zuck, Mrs. Dolores Merchant. NOT SHOWN -Delia Grove,
Margaret Glenn, Phylis Engleking.
SEATED -Mrs. Helen Manning, Mrs. Wallick. STANDING- James E
Miller, Chairman; R. N. Flickinger; Dale Tisehauser.
Robert Shaner, Albert Champion.
Lanark Farmers, Inc.
• Building Material
First in Quality
Fairest in Price
Fastest in Service
Home Cooked Meals
Home Made Pies
— Open 24 Hours —
Lanark Body & Fender Shop
24-Hour Wrecker Service
Days HY 3-6540
Nights HY 3-6334 or 3-2594
MerkePs General Repair
Johnson Outboard Sales and Service
Open Every Night and Saturdays
on Highway 64
Custom Shelling — General Trucking
446 South Broad Phone HY 3-2501
Buick and Ponriac
Authorized Parts & Service
Miller Motor Sales
Ford Sales and Service
Phone HYacinth 3-2334 — 124 East Carroll St.
LIMESTONE and GRAVEL HAULING
Phone HY 3-2140 • Lanark, Illinois
OFFICIAL HEADQUARTERS COMMITTEE
SEATED -Carrie Burkholder, Mrs. Truman Royer, Hazel Hoak, Edmo Zuck. STANDING- Ruth Geary,
Luella Peters, Eva Truman, Marie Flickinger, Mrs. Earl Bear, Cora Hawbecker, Lucile Adams. NOT
SHOWN - Mrs. Marie Buche.
PROMENADE & CARAVAN COMMITTEE -INSURANCE COMMITTEE
PHOTOGRAPHY COMMITTEE - CASHIERS & GATES COMMITTEE
SEATED- Louella Baxter, Paul Merchant, Helen Johns, Roswell Packard, Claude Stauffer, Francis Prowant.
STANDING -Perry Baxter, Ross Folk, Shirley Folk, Earl Liston.Bill Cook, George Bergdall, Cora Lindsay,
Marge Hoak, Conrad Aschenbrenner.
Don's Standard Station
Gas — Oil — Batteries
All Sizes of Tires
Car Washing and Waxing
LUMBER - BUILDING MATERIALS
PAINT - FENCING - COAL
ELSIE MILLER CRAM
BABY CHICKS # SUPPLIES # FEEDS
Accounting — MFA Insurance
and Tax Service
111 North Broad Street
Engels & Lindsay
Your Complete Food Market
Grain Buying & Selling
Trucking HYocinth 3-2536
Shelling Lanark, Illinois
37 YEARS OF SERVICE
Don Blair Produce
— Cash Buyer Poultry and Eggs —
HOSPITALITY CENTER COMMITTEE
SEATED-Mrs. Nelle Courts, Mrs. HattieWarfel, Alice Ackermann, Mrs. Lake Flicklnger, Mrs. Neil Ather-
ton. STANDING- Mrs. Archie Heath; Betty Carroll; Mrs. Glenn Wise, Chairman; Mrs. Sidney Bird; Mrs.
Velma VanBuskirk; Miss Ella Sue Beck; and Mrs. Florence Merchant. NOT SHOWN -Mrs. Harry Lowman,
Mrs. J. K. Morris.
BROTHERS OF BRUSH COMMITTEE
SEATED- James Lindsay, Lawrence Wiebers. STANDING -Randall
Downs, Frank Parker, Don Shaulis, Chairman. NOT SHOWN -Jack
Baxter, Henry Meyer
ADVANCE SALE COMMITTEE
SEATED -Phylis Engleking, Co-chairman; Agnes Fox; Kathleen
Mathias. STANDING- Floren Fox, Alice Ackermann, Claire Mathias,
Mrs. Glenn Wise, Rex Rahn. NOT SHOWN - Evelyn Hodes, Chairman;
John K. Morris; Joan Kimmel; Betty DeGraff; BobEngleking, Wilma
Welp, Merrill Bowers, Helen Olsen, Pat Burmeister, Marion Haw-
becker, E. K. Graham, Betty Merchant, Margarette Zentner, Olive
Kingsbury, Joe Piesen.
"office furniture and supplies
• blank books
The Otto Wagner Store
12 West Main St. — Freeport, III.
Phone ADams 2-6171
COLLIER'S MUSIC STORE
21 E. Stephenson St. ADams 2-5215
Schoen Shoe Repair
Work & Dress Rubbers
FEED OF CHAMPIONS
Grain — Feeds — Seeds — Salt
Phone HY 3-2369
The House of Fine Foods
501 N. Main Street
Garrity Rexall Drugs
Stephenson & State
"WE GIVE S & H GREEN STAMPS"
Fern and Bud Aubrey
BEERS, WINES AND LIQUORS
MT. CARROLL, ILLINOIS
701 NORTH SECOND ST.
KRAZY KOUNTRY KLUB CHAPTER
SEATED -Helen Manning, Amanda Bloyer, Helen Miller, Alice Snid-
er, Minerva Prowant, Earlene Traum. STANDING- Mildred Diehl,
Gladys Keeney, Maude Lang, Marie Lamoreux, Shirley Prowant.
PERKY PIONEERS CHAPTER
SEATED -Mrs. Marge Hoak, Mrs. Erna Garner, Mrs. Ruth Packard,
Mrs. Archie Heath, and Mrs. Cora Lindsay. STANDING - Mrs.
Marilyn Christiansen, Mrs. Isabel Shearer, Mrs. Grace Sweitzer,
Mrs. Lucille Miller, and Mrs. Marian Peat.
THE WICK TRIMMERS CHAPTER
SEATED -Mrs. Glenn Blair, Jr., Mrs. Shirley Folk, Mrs. Luella
Brown, Mrs. Melvin Folk. STANDING- Mrs. Larry Christiansen,
Mrs. Floyd Stiele and Dorothy Libberton.
THE LITTLE LAMBS CHAPTER
SEATED - Melvin Folk, Larry Christiansen, Don Blair. STANDING -
Glenn Blair, Jr., Ross Folk, Francis Smith, and Richard Libberton.
A 9 a.
U L ^
PRAIRIE BELLES CHAPTER
SEATED -Helen Olson, Evelyn Hodes, Pat Burmeister, Mrs. R.
Dieter. STANDING - Dorothy Sorenson, Margaret Zentner, Barbara
Roth, Jeanette McFadden, Mrs. John Henze, Mrs. Norman Hoffman
and Kathleen Mathias.
CENTENNIAL SQUAWS CHAPTER
SEATED -Mrs. Emma Sherwood, Mrs. Margaret Engleking, Mrs.
Hattie Warfel, Mrs. Herb Evans. STANDING - Mrs. Myrtle Baum,
Mrs. Lake Flickinger, Miss Lorraine Ewing, Mrs. Sidney Bird,
Mrs. Donald Asay, Mrs. Mable Hoy.
Albert M. Greison
SERVING YOU FOR OVER 30 YEARS
"WE WRITE IT RIGHT"
Complete Insurance Protection
iTAxa6'4, *) \u4wrtutce ?4 y&ttcy
105 N. Broad St. Phone HY 3-2255
Michigan Salt Co.
St. Louis, Michigan
703 W. CLEVELAND ST.
Phone ADams 2-2912
Dixon Garage Supply
Automotive Parts and Equipment
205 EAST FIRST ST. -:- DIXON, ILLINOIS
Phone AT 3-1781
Barker Lumber Co.
Earl H. Meier, Mgr.
BUILDING MATERIALS OF ALL KINDS
FUEL- PAINTS - FENCING
We Treat You  The Year •
Phone VO 4-2141 Shannon, III.
Haircutting is our Business
— Let us trim your hair regularly —
Haircuts including flat tops $1.25
Open Tuesday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
City Barber Shop
STANLEY WAGNER, PROP.
Newberry Wallpaper &
Wholesale and Retail
Wallpaper — Paints — Varnishes — Lacquers
Oils — Glass — Painters' Supplies
— ARTISTS' MATERIALS —
We Deliver 22 W. Main St.
Phone AD 2-6612 Freeport, III.
SQUARE DANCE GROUP
j"RONT TO BACK -Mr. & Mrs. Patrick McCue, Mr. & Mrs. Ken-
leth Geisz, Mr. & Mrs. Earl Liston, Mr. & Mrs. James Carroll.
SQUARE DANCE GROUP
FRONT TO BACK -Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Geisz, Mr. & Mrs. Fred
Swanson, Mr. Marvin Hartman & Diane Flickinger, Frank Wallick &
Mrs. Ellen Hartman.
i r 'l
U. 'mmr ^L
w^k 1H ^1
SQUARE DANCE GROUP
FRONT TO BACK- Mr. & Mrs. Wallick, Mr. & Mrs. Richard Kimpel,
Mr. & Mrs. Ross Folk, Mr. & Mrs. Robert Engleking.
THE GRANGE CHAPTER
SEATED -Ralph Roberts, Dean Meador, Francis Prowant, Naaman
Diehl, Russell Lamoreux, Randall Traum. STANDING - Lawrence
Haught, Lawrence Meador, Wallace Ware, Clarence Vandervelt,
Leo Poffenberger, Earl Carbaugh.
Men's, Women's, Children's Shoes
Boys' and Men's Clothes
E. G. Shinner & Company, Inc.
422 Main Street
MT. CARROLL GRANITE and MARBLE WORKS
Geo. W. Ivey & Sons, Proprietors
Shop Located at Mt. Carroll, Illinois
All Work Done by Pneumatic Tools and Sand
Blast. Prices Right. Workmanship Guaranteed.
are available to fit
ALL MAKES of
mowers and combines
M»NUF»CTURINC CO , INCORPORATED
Pitt's Sport Store
Everything in Sports
502 Main St.
SCHNEIDER OIL CO.
Complete Line of Petroleum Products
Tank Wagon Service
Highest in Quality — Lowest in Price
Phone VO 4-2670 — :- Shannon, Illinois
POST OFFICE CHAPTER
SEATED - Francis Kloepping, Ned Dollinger, Carl Christiansen.
STANDING -Warren Barklow, Albert Champion, William Johns,
WOMAN'S CLUB CHAPTER
SEATED - Virginia Sichta, Ruth Geary, Marian Peat. STANDING -
Hazel Hoak, Mrs. Earl Bear, Mrs. Merle Hawbecker.Besse Bowers.
THE CACKLE BELLES
SEATED -Ardith Winters, Betty Wiebers, Phylis Engleking, Doris
Lindsay, Jeannine Carroll, Harriett Liston. STANDING -Jean Mun-
son, Margaret Glenn, Catherine Warner, Betty Merchant, Dorothea
Rahn, Hattie Brantner.
THE PLOWBOYS CHAPTER
SEATED- Lawrence Hubbard, Lawrence Derrer, Roger Finifrock.
STANDING - Harlan Martz, Loren Martz, Ellis Appelgate, and Tom
Ruth Parker Beauty Salon
125 Broad Street - Phone HY 3-2501
Owner and Operator for 25 years
LANARK FEED MILL
Lanark, Illinois Phone HY 3-2700
Grinding — Rolling — Feed — Fertilizer
FREEPORT AUTEX CO.
Auto Supplies — Radios — TV — Appliances
218-220 W. Stephenson Street
Shepley Hayner Corp.
Freeport Water Treatment Equipment
1301 S. West Ave. Freeport, Illinois
Schindler's Automotive Service
Skelly Oil Company
Mt. Carroll, Illinois
Hadley's Cafe Mt. Carroll, III.
Gamble's Store Shannon, III.
Lanark Barber Shop .... Lanark, III.
Parod Dept. Store Lanark, III.
(Arvid Parod — Prop.)
Cut & Kurl Beauty Shop .. Shannon
(Doris Linker — Operator)
MESSING & BECKER
18 South Galena Ave.
PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND
20 West Main Street — :— Freeport, Illinois
Coats — Suits — Dresses — Millinery
Fine Women's & Children's Clothing
Peat's Service Station
Complete Line of Mobil Products
Plus Satisfactory Service
While in town let us be your
headquarters for your needs.
37 Years Serving You At The Same Location
George W. Peat, Owner
KIMMEL MOBIL STATION
TRACTOR TIRES BATTERIES
SEATED -Mrs. George Jones, Rev. Joe Pieson, Mrs. Randall Downs. STANDING - Rev. Theodore Kimrael,
Rev. Ray Aspinall.
PRESS RELEASE COMMITTEE
PRINTED BY STEPHENSON-CARROLL PUBLISHERS, LENA, ILLINOIS
The Historical Book Committee wishes to express their
appreciation to those people who have made this book possible.
To those who so generously shared their memories and
treasured pictures, to the Lanark Gazette for use of their files,
to those who lent history books and other printed matter, and to
those who purchased advertising space, our sincere thanks.
Without each of these this book could not have been written.
Our hope is that it may have brought to the minds of some fond
memories of bygone years and that to others it has pointed to a
way of life that could well be emulated today.
Mrs. C. F. Isenberger, Chr.
Mrs. Hugh Pettinger
Mrs. Russell Lamoreux
Miss Leona Hess
Mrs. Emma Sherwood
Mrs. John Kloepping
Mrs. Robert Shaner
Mr. John Kloepping
Mr Richard Dieter
Mrs. Leona Elmer
Mr. Frank Wallick
60 ^ B
^ e -
tr - ft
fc - S3
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS-URBANA
977 3345L220 C001
OUR HERITAGE - A CENTURY OF PROGRESS I